The Club at Old Fort Bay Explore the Historic Old Fort Bay Club and its facilities History

Primary Sources

Bahamas Title Research Co. Ltd.

Registry of Records – conveyance map of original grants 1

Department of Lands & Surveys

Department of Archives

1951-present
Title Deeds – Higgs & Johnson (Mr. Potier)

Secondary Sources

The Bahamas Handbook, Mary Mosley, The Nassau Guardian 1926, p.34-35 (DOA- B11 MOS 1926)

The Tribune Handbook ‘A Standard Guide to Nassau and The Bahama Islands, 1924, p.189-90 (DOA-B02.9 – copy2)

Islanders in the stream: A History of Bahamian People, Vol. 1, p.168-9 & map 10, Craton, M., Saunders, G.

A History of The Bahamas, Craton M.3

Travels in the Confederation 1783-1784, Schoepf, Johann D., Philadelphia Campbell 19114

Nassau Magazine, Feb. 1934, Vol 1, #3 ref 4.5

A History of the Forts of Nassau

Other Sources

A History of The Old Fort

1969-Present
New Providence Development Company Ltd.

27th June 1969
Brady Security and Realty Corporation granted and conveyed unto New Providence Development Company Ltd. (11)6

Ref: Registry of Records / Volume 1452 / p.300-305

10th September 1951
Helen Mc Mahon Cutting the widow of the late James Cox Brady released her rights to dower in the property of Old Fort in favour of Brady Security and Realty Corporation.(10)7

Ref: Registry of Records / Book H.19 / p.553-556

William Vincent Griffin as the surviving executor and trustee of the Will of the late James Cox Brady granted and conveyed unto Brady Security and Realty Corporation. (9)8

Ref: Registry of Records / Book O.19 / p.25-30

1926 (relevant?)
The Clifton Estate and a large portion of the Charlotteville or Old Fort Estate, together with neighbouring properties, have been purchased by the Nelson-Bullock-Nelson Co., real estate developers, of Miami.9

1925 (relevant?)
John William Bullock to Charles Sumner Dolley, lot of land known as ‘Bradford’ in western district of New Providence. 10

Mortgage - 20th May 1925
Lodged - 24th July 1925
Satisfied - 1st December 1925

E - estate ‘Love’ SW - estate ‘Wilderness’ N - sea

1919 (relevant?)
Mr. Charles C.H. Lightbourn to Charles Sumner Dolley11

Conveyance 8th April 1919
Lodged 10th March 1920

E - land known as ‘Loves’ – granted to Ridley Pinder
SW - land granted to Richard Micklewaite known as the ‘Wilderness.”
N - sea

1917
Mr. James Cox Brady bought the Old Fort as a winter residence.412

1912
Dr. Charles S. Dolley, a retired American University Professor bought the property, added to the original buildings and improved the immediate surroundings.13

1908 (relevant?)
Mary A. Sands to Charles C.H. Lightbourn, 5o acres k/a ‘Bradford’ Western district. 14

Conveyance - 7th September 1908
Lodged - 21st October 1908

E - land originally granted to Ridley Pinder now the property of Bahamas Fibre & Produce Co. Ltd. SW - land granted to Richard Micklewaite now property of said BF&P Co. N - sea

1787 - 1908
The Old Fort building has been held at times by several of the leading Nassau families such as the Malcolms, Adderleys, Menendez etc.15

1787
The Old Fort building was turned into a Manor House with extensive slave quarters nearby. The lands around Old Fort being rich and well watered were plotted on early British Charts as ‘Provision Lands’.16

1782 (?)
There is strong evidence that this fort was constructed by the Spanish during their tenure in The Bahamas. It commanded an entrance to a small land-locked harbour, now referred to as ‘Lightbourne Creek’ – on early charts “Lightwood Creek,” which entrance was silted up during some hurricanes – probably before the English took possession of the Islands.17

Old Fort is one of the most interesting country residences in The Bahamas is, in part, perhaps the oldest construction in the Islands. It has always been distinguished from other fortifications by the name Old Fort and the fact it is a Carthagenian Fort. The name has clung to it despite the fact that the lands immediately adjoining it were named Charlotteville by the first British settlers.18

At one time the Old Fort was the property of Sir Henry Marr and the site of an ancient sea battery. Gun emplacements were situated on the seaward side of the house but placed at the entrance to the estate by the former owner Mr. P.R.Curtis.19

Footnotes

  1. To be researched
  2. To be researched
  3. To be researched
  4. To be researched at B.T.R.Co.
  5. DOA to locate
  6. Title Summary / Mr. Potier
  7. Ibid.
  8. Ibid
  9. The Bahamas Handbook, Mary Mosley, The Nassau Guardian 1926, p.34-35 (DOA- B11 MOS 1926)
  10. Bahamas Title Research Co. Ltd. / Z11 12-14
  11. Bahamas Title Research Co. Ltd. / I11 (294-6)
  12. Old Fort Bay brochure – ask Amanda Lindroth
  13. The Tribune Handbook ‘A Standard Guide to Nassau and The Bahama Islands, 1924, p.189-90 (DOA-B02.9 – copy2)
  14. Bahamas Title Research Co. Ltd. / T10-8
  15. The Tribune Handbook ‘A Standard Guide to Nassau and The Bahama Islands, 1924, p.189-90 (DOA-B02.9 – copy2)
  16. Ibid.
  17. Ibid.
  18. Ibid.
  19. A History of Nassau Forts